Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Milk Carton Baby Shower Favors

I found this idea on Creative Itch for Father's Day and made 3 of the milk cartons and the cards. When it came time to find a party favor for an upcoming baby shower for a boy and a girl baby, I wanted to make these milk cartons again.

So I ended up making 30 of them to fill with candy . . .
The original pattern calls for a piece of paper that is 7"x11", but if I was making it out of a 12"x12" paper, I could only get one milk carton per piece of paper - with a lot of paper left over. So I tweaked the measurments and made it 6"x11" so I could get 2 cartons per piece of paper with very little left over.

But that meant I had to change the folding measurements as well. If you follow the tutorial linked on Creative Itch (here), but want to make the same size I did, just cut it 6"x11" and when you score the short side of the paper, make the lines at 1.5", 4", and 5.5". You can't really notice the difference when they're done, but when you're making multiple cartons, it helps to save paper.

In making 30 of these, it probably took me a total of 8 hours from start to end - but that was spread over a week of trying to do it during nap time. And my wonderful sister-in-law, Kari, helped me with some of the process. Thanks, Kari!!!!!

Here's a pic of the Father's Day carton and card I made for my husband, father, and father-in-law and filled up with their favorite candy. The card idea came from Creative Itch as well.


3 comments:

  1. They turned out so cute! I'm glad I could help a little!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I didn't know your guys made that all!!
    I wish I was with your guys so I could help!
    Thank you so much for our wonderful babyshower!
    all of your guys have a great talent that I don't have ^^;

    ReplyDelete